Take a special guided tour of one of the most prestigious contemporary art events in the world, La Biennale de Venezia. The only international visual arts exhibition to which Canada sends official representation, for 2019 the Canadian Pavilion will be created by Isuma, led by Zacharias Kunuk and Norman Cohn. Isuma, meaning “to think, or a state of thoughtfulness” in Inuktitut, was co-founded in 1990 as Canada’s first Inuit-owned independent film and video company. Adapting the tools of experimental video art practice to the art of Inuit storytelling, their work has won major accolades and awards, and is represented in art collections and film festivals around the world.
The artists selected a team of five Canadian curators to work with them on the concoction of the pavilion including: Asinnajaq, Barbara Fischer, Candice Hopkins, Josée Drouin-Brisebois and the AGA’s Executive Director / Chief Curator, Catherine Crowston.
Join AGA’s Catherine Crowston and art historian Dr. William Wood for this special tour to Venice. They will walk you through the Canadian Pavilion and their selected highlights of the 58th La Biennale di Venezia, themed in 2019 around the title: “May You Live in Interesting Times.” The trip will feature 3 days on the Venice Biennale grounds (Giardini and Arsenale), as well as guided visits to several of Venice’s renowned art museums, collections and special exhibitions.
• 6 day guided tour of Venice art attractions
• 3 course welcome dinner (Monday, June 17)
• 3 course farewell dinner (Sunday, June 23)
• 3 day admission pass to the Venice Biennale
• Passes and gratuities for all scheduled visits and activities
• AGA Charitable tax receipt for $2,000
• 2019 Venice Biennale: May You Live In Interesting Times
• François Pinault Collection: Palazzo Grassi and Punta della Dogana
• Peggy Guggenheim Collection
• Gallerie dell’Accademia
• Special exhibitions and Venice Biennale o -site venues
• $2,990 per person (AGA Charitable tax receipt for $2,000)
• Booking Deadline: April 1, 2019
• Deposit: $1,000 per person (non-refundable)
This Package Does Not Include:
• Airport Transfers
• Accommodations: Please book a hotel of your preference close to the S. Maria del Giglio vaporetto stop; this will allow the AGA tour to be close together but have a choice of accommodation. These hotels are all in this area and offer a range of choices to consider:
Hotel Ala, Locanda de la Spada, Hotel Flora, Gritti Palace, Ad Place Venice and Hotel Bel Sito e Berlino
• Entrance fees unless stated in the itinerary;
• Personal/optional tours and transportation apart from group activities;
• Meals and beverages not listed in the itinerary
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the nature of Venice transport and the demands of the tour itinerary, participants must be able to walk and/or stand for several hours.
For more information or to reserve your space please contact Barbara Keir at Barbara.Keir@youraga.ca or 780-392-2465