Reports to: Exhibition Experience and Interpretation Coordinator
Gallery Attendants staff exhibition spaces to ensure the safety of artworks, and to communicate and engage with the public about the work on display. Gallery Attendants act as an informal interpretive resource to visitors, they help foster deeper, richer knowledge and understanding of the art and its relationship to the world.
Working within a collegial frame of reference in an empowerment-based model, Gallery Attendants are responsible for:
- Monitoring the exhibition space for the purposes of art protection
- Upholding and communicating gallery rules and regulations
- Communicating with the public concerning minor infractions, but forwarding more serious issues to the nearest security guard/site supervisor
Keeping in mind the art protection responsibilities above, the Gallery Attendant will be responsible for communicating and engaging with the public about the exhibitions and art on display. Their interpretive responsibilities will also include:
- Participating in evening exhibition training workshops
- Completing exhibition readings and exercises as assigned
- Answering the public’s questions about the works on display
- Engaging the public in conversation about exhibitions and the key messages of the exhibitions
- Monitoring and assisting in-gallery activities as required
- Maintaining all in-gallery interpretive materials
- Completing assessments/surveys of visitor behaviour in the exhibition space
- Leading public and private tours as needed
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with Gallery staff, Board members, committees, volunteers, program participants and the general public.
- Maintaining professional museum standards and ethics by working within the Ethical Guidelines outlined by the Canadian Museums Association
- 2-3 years of post-secondary education in fine arts, art history or related subject matter
- Comfortable in a public speaking role, personable
- Basic physical fitness; this position may require that one stand for a period of four hours
- The ability to work under general direction and in a team environment.
Application deadline: May 30, 2016
Please submit to email@example.com, Subject Line: Gallery Attendant Application