Call for submissions: Alberta Foundation for the Arts Travelling Exhibition Program
…Oh, yes, I’m rattled to the bone by beauty. — Harley Brown, American artist
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…or is it? For millennia philosophers and visual artists have struggled with the concept of beauty, contemplating its nature and questioning whether beauty as an aesthetic construct exists or has value at all.
The Alberta Foundation for the Arts Travelling Exhibition Program (TREX), organized by the Art Gallery of Alberta, asks artists throughout Alberta to consider this theme as it relates to the 21st century and invites submissions for consideration as part of a planned TREX exhibition. This exhibition, tentatively entitled In Pursuit of Beauty, will begin travelling Alberta in September 2015 and will examine the theme of beauty as addressed both philosophically and visually throughout history and as it is expressed in the visual imagery of contemporary artists working in Alberta.
Submissions must include the following:
- Artist contact information (address, phone number, e-mail address)
- Artist biography
- Artist statement which addresses both the artists’ thoughts/beliefs concerning the theme of beauty and how they believe their art work speaks to this theme
- A CD of theme-related art images (submission should include 10-15 high quality digital images – images must be in jpeg format at 300dpi)
- Image list (including title of work, medium, image size, date created). Please note/ensure:
- Art works may be in any media although, due to eventual venue exhibition requirements, 2D works (size: 24 inches x 36 inches or smaller) are preferred.
- that artist’s name/address is clearly marked on each part of the submission.
- If an artist wishes materials to be returned, please include a self- addressed, stamped envelope
Submission Deadline: Friday, May 30, 2014
Please deliver or mail submissions to:
Alberta Foundation for the Arts TREX Program Region 2, Art Gallery of Alberta
Edmonton, AB., T5H 2Y6
Ph: 780-428-3830 ext. 2