Create your own version the Battle and Win!
Battle of the Sea Gods (left side), c. 1485-1488
Engraving on laid paper, 28 x 42.7 cm
National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
Photo © NGC
The contest is now closed. The winner of the Refinery Prize Package is: Rachelle Bugeaud
Your AGA challenges you to invoke your inner artist to create your own version of Andrea Mantegna’s Battle of the Sea Gods. This etching is featured in the upcoming AGA exhibition Beautiful Monsters: Beasts and Fantastic Creatures in Early European Prints.
In this allegorical work, a battle unfolds under the direction of Envy, represented here in the figure of an old emaciated woman. Create your version of this image using any medium: photography, video, sculpture, painting, drawing, collage and more!
- 4 Tickets to The Monstrous Baroque Refinery late night art party on Saturday, November 17, 2012.
- Refinery Costume Rental and Consultation courtesy of The Theatre Garage for four people.
- A meal for four at Zinc Restaurant at the Art Gallery of Alberta to be redeemed by December 16th, 2012.
Meet the Judging Panel:
- Jennifer Forsyth, Refinery Creative Director
- Kristen Hutchinson, Refinery Creative Director
- Ruth Burns, Associate Curator / Interpretive Programs Manager, Art Gallery of Alberta
- Paul Freeman, Artist featured in upcoming AGA exhibition, PAUL FREEMAN: It’s Only Natural
Submissions will be judged on artistic quality, originality and relationship to original Mantegna print.
- Submission deadline is Sunday, November 4, 2012 at midnight
- Your finished work must be submitted via email to email@example.com, with “Refinery Contest Submission” in the subject line
- Include your name, phone number and email address with submission
- Only Jpegs, movie files or PDF’s will be accepted.
- One entry per person
The Fine Print:
- By submitting your artwork to this contest you are granting the Art Gallery of Alberta permission to publish your artwork on the AGA website, social media channels and various forms of media.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to enter.