Table of Contents
- Why rent art?
- How do I rent art?
- How often do you bring in new work?
- For how long can I rent art?
- How much does it cost to rent art?
- Can I rent-to-own?
- How can I make a purchase?
- How does the Rental Rebate work?
- How long is a rental period?
- Do I have to be a member of the Art Gallery of Alberta in order to rent art?
- Do I have to live in Edmonton and area in order to rent art?
- Do you deliver the work, or do I take it with me?
- Does the delivery and installation cost include pick-up?
- How do I return the work I am renting?
- What if the work is damaged, lost or stolen while I am renting?
- What about insurance?
- Does Art Rental & Sales buy art or accept donations of art?
Art Rental & Sales Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why rent art?
Our rental program is a great way to explore and live with art. There are many reasons to rent:
- It’s affordable
- For your business or for your home: fine art can help you create a unique and inspired environment
- Discover something new: we have a large selection of art that is always changing
- Grow your collection: we offer quality fine art from contemporary Canadian artists
- Purchase with confidence: art in our collection is selected carefully, and you can live with a work before you commit to buying
- Keep your space fresh: change your art annually, seasonally, or whenever you are ready for something new
- Invest in community: renting or purchasing art from us helps you support your AGA and working local artists.
2. How do I rent art?
Renting art is easy.
- Select the work you like
- Sign the rental contract
- Hang it on your wall
Rental payments are made automatically at the start of each rental period using Visa or MC, beginning on the day you receive your work. We will provide you with a payment schedule, and a ‘How-to Install’ information sheet. If needed, we can discuss delivery and installation. You may return or purchase a rented work at any time. Just contact us before the next billing date.
*Please allow yourself time to select work and sign the contract. Don’t rush.
*A rental period is 28 days, and you are not committed for more than one period at a time.
3. How often do you bring in new work?
4. For how long can I rent art?
There is a minimum of one period (28 days) for renting art. You are not committed for more than one period at a time. That means, you may rent a work for however long you choose, and you can return or purchase it at any time. [link to Q.6 – re: rent-to-own]
5. How much does it cost to rent art??
Rent is set at approximately 2% of the sale price. Rental can range from as low as $11 up to $300/work, with an average cost of $40.00/work per period. Visit our on-line gallery to see a sample of our collection and pricing. See our online gallery >
6. Can I rent-to-own?
No. The rental program is not rent-to-own.
The work in our collection is consigned to us by the artist and the rental price of each work is set at approximately 2% of the sale price. This percentage is what helps keep renting art affordable. Instead of rent-to-own, we do offer other purchasing options. Please, see FAQ #8 to read about our rebate policy, or contact us to discuss payment options.
7. How can I make a purchase?
You can purchase a work directly from our in-house collection, or you can purchase the work that you are renting. Visit or contact us to discuss purchasing options of a work you are interested in owning.
If shipping is required, it is the responsibility of the buyer to arrange for transport or pick up of the purchased work. We are happy to offer contacts that may help facilitate the shipping of a purchased work.
8. How does the Rental Rebate work?
If you are interested in purchasing a work that you are renting, we offer a rebate of half the paid rental up to six periods. That means, after you have rented a work for 12 periods, you would be entitled to the maximum six period rebate. You may continue to the rent the work for more than 12 periods, but your rebate will never exceed its six period value.
9. How long is a rental period?
A rental period lasts 28 days. There are 13 rental periods in one year.
10. Do I have to be a member of the Art Gallery of Alberta in order to rent art?
No. Anyone living in Edmonton and area can rent art from us.
11. Do I have to live in Edmonton and area in order to rent art?
Yes. Because we have a small and busy team, we rent to those living in Edmonton and area. This allows us to offer excellent service and to be in contact as needed.
12. Do you deliver the work, or do I take it with me?
If the work you would like to rent can fit safely in your vehicle, we encourage you to take it with you. We will wrap it and give you a ‘How-to Install’ information sheet. If the work is too big, or you are renting many works, we can deliver and install the work for you for a fee.
13. Does the delivery and installation cost include pick-up?
Yes. If we deliver and install your work, the pick-up is included in that charge.
14. How do I return the work I am renting?
Please contact us before your next billing date to let us know when you’ll be bringing back the work, or to schedule a pick-up. If you are not sure of your next billing date, just give us a call.
15. What if the work is damaged, lost or stolen while I am renting?
It is your responsibility to cover any cost associated with damage, loss or theft of a painting under contract with you.
16. What about insurance?
If this is a concern for you, it is your responsibility to ensure coverage under your own insurance policy. If you have any doubt that a painting you are renting is covered under your insurance policy, contact your company.
17. Does Art Rental & Sales buy art or accept donations of art?
No. We do not buy art or accept donations. The work in our collection is consigned from the artist.